HomeEventsMeeting MinutesChapter OfficersChapter HistoryPast Chapter ChiefsExternal Links

Wewahitchka Chapter History

(Adapted from the 2010-2011 Wewahitchka Chapter Plan Book)

Organization and Lodge Origins

The Order of the Arrow was founded by Dr. E. Urner Goodman and Carrol A. Edson at the Treasure Island Scout Reservation in Pennsylvania in 1915. The Order of the Arrow was first known as WWW, which stood for Brotherhood of Cheerful Service. The National Council of the Boy Scouts of the America recognized the OA in 1934. Tipisa Lodge first started in Michigan in 1930, and then moved to Indiana in 1932, then finally to Camp Wewa in Orlando, Florida in 1938. A total of twenty-eight youth were chosen that first year for this special honor.

Chapter Origins

Our chapter was first called the Kaliga Chapter, being part of the Central Florida Council. Charles Carlisle was our first chapter chief. We were given the name Wewahitchka in December 1960. The name means "View of Water."

Chapter Awards and Recognitions

In 1976-1977 "year," our chapter won Best All Round from the lodge. Deam Saunders was the chief at that time. We won the Quest for the Golden Arrow in 1977, 1986, and 1988. We were awarded the Most Improved Chapter award from the lodge in 2000. Ryan Hanegan was the chief at that time.

Our King's Cup (which displays items and awards from the chapter) has received many honors. In 2002 and 2003, we won first place for the year.

In 2007 the chapter received the Most Improved Chapter yet again, thanks to the hard work of then-chapter chief Chris Rafferty. The chapter has also received an award for most pounds of trash collected by one group at an Ibini Tera cleanup.

This page was last modified on: